Now that the weather is getting cooler it is soup weather. Nothing can warm you up faster and make you feel good than a nice warm bowl of soup. Here is a favorite of mine.
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow or white onion
- 1 cup of half and half
- 2 14.5 ounce cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 16 ounce package of frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 cup Julianne cut carrots – shredded carrots are ok to use
- 1 pound loaf processed cheese food (Velveeta or a store brand)
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large saucepan melt together butter, flour, and chopped onions. Cook butter and flour together for about a minute, and then slowly add in about 1 quarter of the half and half, whisk until thickened and smooth. When all of the half and half is incorporated add frozen broccoli and velveeta cheese, when the cheese is completely melted, add chicken broth one cup at a time until soup is well mixed and has a consistent texture. Add carrots, and simmer soup for about 20 minutes. During the last 10 minutes of cooking add the 8 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese. Serve when all cheese if fully melted.