Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup
This is a great recipe that you can make with fresh ingredients or you can use a can of Veg – All for the vegetables. You can cook this on the stove or let this simmer in the crock pot all day. If you use the crock pot and fresh ingredients you will need to first cook your potatoes and carrots before adding them to the mixture so they will be tender when ready to eat.
- broth beef, vegetable, or chicken will do
- 3-4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into bite size pieces
- 3-4 carrots peeled and sliced into small pieces
- 1 small onion chopped or you can substitute dried onion flakes
- 1/2-3/4 cup of frozen kernel corn
- 1/2 cup of early peas or 1 cup green beans
- 1 lb. hamburger
- 10 oz. can tomato sauce or tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp. butter
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot, cook potatoes and carrots in water or broth until they begin to get tender about fifteen minutes. In a skillet brown the hamburger and onion together, draining the fat. Add more water and sprinkle in the corn, hamburger, peas or green beans, stirring together. Add the tomato sauce and butter, seasoning with salt and pepper. Adding more water as the soup simmers so that you have enough broth. You may want to add some ketchup if the soup tastes weak.
If you use the Veg – All method, rinse and drain vegetables and combine with cooked hamburger in a pot of broth, adding tomato sauce or ketchup and seasonings to taste. Simmer about twenty minutes before serving.
This is great to even throw in a 1/2 cup of elbow macaroni. Serve with crackers or corn muffins. Leftovers heat up and taste as good or sometimes even better than when you made it.