In honor of Mardi Gras and Fat Tuesday here is a Cajun dish you may enjoy.
True Shrimp Creole
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds fresh or frozen uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice
In a large heavy skillet, combine the flour and oil until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until flour is a rich deep brown. Add the onion, green pepper and celery; cook for 5-6 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until heated through.
Add shrimp. Simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Discard bay leaves. Serve with rice.