If you read my blog or my facebook post last week you know that I was in Old Town, Alexandria and that I had Grasshopper Pie for dessert last Thursday night. I have been searching for a recipe for it and I think this is possibly the closest one to what I had. I am going to try it this weekend. And I’ll let you know.
- 20 oreo cookies (40 halves), fillings discarded, cookies crushed for pie crust (or you can skip this part and buy an already made Keebler chocolate cookie crust)
- 5 Tbsp butter, melted
- 3/4 cup hot milk
- 25 large marshmallows
- 1/4 cup creme de menthe liqueur
- 2 Tbsp white creme de cacao
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- Optional a drop or two of green food dye
Pie crust – if making yourself, preheat oven to 425°. In a bowl mix crushed oreo cookies and butter. Pat into bottom and sides of 10 inch pie dish. Bake in oven for 5 to 10 minutes, remove and cool completely. Once cooled, place in freezer to chill.
Pie filling – In saucepan, melt marshmallows in milk over medium heat. Remove from heat and cool. Add creme de menthe and creme de cacao, and mix well. Add a drop or two of green food dye. Fold in whipped cream. Pour into chilled pie shell. Freeze for 3-4 hours. Serve with a dallop of marshmallow cream smeared on the plate, sit the pie on top and add a dallop of whipped cream on top with some chocolate shavings and a spring of fresh mint.